Monsoons in India are incredibly beautiful. The inky clouds, the lush greenery, the soft sound of downpour along with abundant freshness in the air makes monsoon the best season to get away from the cities. From long vacations to mini staycations, every monsoon comes with a game plan. But this monsoon is unlike any other, reason being the constant fear of lockdown has led to a joyless monsoon. Monsoons are loved by everyone, the cool windy air that comes with yummy food and hot tea is a favourite combination for most people during monsoon. Besides the abundant rainfalls, monsoons also inaugurated the season of discounts. With some yummy food and an online shopping spree, you can convert your stay-at home monsoon season into a vibrant one. Celebrate the magic of monsoon with us, shop silver jewellery online from TALISMAN and get some mega-savings this monsoon. Enjoy flat 15% off across all collections. Use code SAVE15 for some monsoon magic discount.
With the onset of monsoon, comes a lot of humidity and moisture which can be harmful for your jewellery if proper care is not taken. A women’s jewellery box reflects her personality and carries within the creations that she will treasure forever. Jewellery once bought, remains with us for a lifetime. However, good maintenance of jewellery is of utmost importance to ensure its durability. It’s important that the contents of one’s jewellery box are carefully preserved and kept away from germs and hindrances that may damage them. At TALISMAN, we consider every piece as a lifelong emotional investment. With relatively minimal effort, your pieces can be cleaned, well‐cared for and safely stored to last you a lifetime.
TALISMAN jewellery is special and all is hand-crafted in our workshops but there are four crucial elements to ensure that your jewellery is preserved and maintained the right way so it can last you a lifetime – wear your jewellery the right way, clean them properly, store them carefully and caring for your gemstones. Here are a few simple tips to keep your jewellery away from germs and how you can care for it so that it lasts you a lifetime.
Wearing your Jewellery:
- Wear your jewellery in the end. Make sure you wear your jewellery once you are done applying lotion, perfume, cosmetics and everything else. Wear your necklace and earrings only after you are done with your hair and makeup.
- Do not expose your jewellery to chemicals. We often use chemical products at home while gardening and cleaning. Make sure to remove your rings, bracelets and other jewellery products before touching these products.
- Do not expose your silver jewellery to water. Avoid exposing your silver to household chemicals when cleaning with bleach or ammonia, or when swimming in chlorinated water, as these chemicals can damage silver. Even remove your jewellery while washing your hands as it may damage them and they might lose their lustre and it is important that you wash the germs underneath them as well.
- Avoid wearing jewellery while doing any physical work. A lot of women face the problem of rings and bracelets making contact with the utensils while cooking. This may lead to the stones falling off and damaging the jewellery pieces. Remember to remove them and keep all your jewellery aside while cooking, cleaning and doing other physical activities.
Cleaning your Jewellery at Home:
- After removing your jewellery, wipe each piece with a clean soft cloth to remove body oils and perspiration. Dust and sweat can often accumulate on jewellery pieces causing grime. The good news is that it can easily be cleaned using a mixture of warm water and mild soap. Use a soft toothbrush to reach curved surfaces and gently rub the pieces. To keep your jewellery shiny and new, it is best to put on any perfumes, lotions or hair spray before putting on jewellery.
- Clean your jewels with warm water and dish solution to retain their shine and keep them germ-free. As a best practice, do this once every week. Sanitizers can be used only to clean hard gemstones. Jewels with softer stones can lose their lustre if cleaned with water. So, use a soft cloth and gently clean the surface to preserve its beauty and keep it clean.
- Care should also be taken to prevent silver from getting tarnished i.e. the blackness of silver that naturally occurs when silver is exposed to sulphur or hydrogen sulphide. To clean your silver jewellery, use polishing cloths specifically formulated to remove tarnish. Though tarnish is a natural phenomenon, the best way to prevent tarnish is to regularly clean your pieces. Silver jewels have a soft lustre, and so they can get tarnished easily. Clean them using a mix of lemon juice and a little water. Another easy way you can polish them, is by adding toothpaste to your jewels and wiping it off with cotton.
- You can also clean your silver jewellery at home by following this simple step: Stir one teaspoon of salt or baking soda into hot water and submerge your jewellery into the solution, let it sit for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, rinse the jewellery with cold water and dry it with a soft cloth.
Storing your Jewellery at Home:
- Your precious jewellery must be stored separately for their shine to last longer. Keep them in an airtight box, or in a zip-lock bag to keep them clean and away from germs! Store your jewellery in plastic boxes as this will ensure that your jewellery doesn’t get corroded. Use one plastic box for each set so that it is easy to look for them when needed. You can preferably label each plastic box to avoid confusion.
- Wrap your jewellery pieces in a thin and soft fabric within the plastic box, ensure that you wrap each of the earrings, bracelets, rings and necklaces in individual fabrics so that they don’t rub against each other.
- You can use a jewellery case while travelling. It is very important to keep your jewellery safe while travelling and ensuring that it doesn’t get damaged. It also helps to keep the jewellery case between layers of clothing.
- Gemstones are naturally robust and durable in nature. With regular use, however, they can absorb moisture and dust so special care should be undertaken when wearing them to avoid damage. The best way to protective gemstones is preventive care. Try to avoid contact with face creams, lotions and other household chemicals. Use a lint-free cloth to wipe them clean from time to time.
- Gemstones are precious and may get damaged if they encounter direct sunlight or heat. Keep them away from direct exposure as much as possible. Your jewellery should be stored in a dry place away from humidity, moisture and extreme temperatures.
- All stone jewellery requires extra care and consideration during wearing to protect the setting as well as to safeguard the gemstone it holds.
You can always restore the appearance of your silvery jewellery by getting it re-plated. We hope that these simple jewellery care and maintenance tips will help you go a long way in storing and handling your jewellery in good shape.